Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sea-Sekshun - Tidal Cut

Sea-Sekshun are a local Victoria band that describe themselves as Ska-punge [a mix of ska/punk/grunge]. There's Jake Sunstrum on guitar/vocals. Tyler Swagar on bass. Ross Hobbs 2nd guitar. Tom Gracie rounds out the band on drums. If I'm not mistaken, Tidal Cut is their first EP which is produced by David Fraelic of Saul/Dead Eyes Open fame. Well, as much fame as you can get while keeping moderately known in BC.

Flyers comes across as a Metallica tinged grunge rocker. The sound is crisp and Sunstrum's snarl is very aided by Fraelic's skin tight production. It does have potential to be a single. That is, if we are ready for a grunge revival, which seems like Victoria is on track for. Many have attempted the Kurt Cobain and failed. In saying that, there were predictions Victoria could be the next Seattle. That prediction was made ages ago. We'll have to get out of the shadows of Vancouver in order to do that. With bands like The New Colors around, who knows what can happen.

A La Ska is a complete 180. It's a very fun song, and it's short. Tyler Swagar's voice is hard to pin point. It kind of passes you by. Suddenly it's over and you aren't too sure what has happened. It's such a wild card on the disc, it doesn't really have a point. I really enjoyed this song live and I have nothing against multiple singers, but it doesn't mesh with the disc. The song before contained no ska nor really any punk. It was almost all grunge. This one has ska and punk, but no grunge. Do I hate the song? No. If Sea-Sekshun wanted their EP to sound like a compilation of different bands, then they succeeded rather than presenting themselves as a cohesive band.

Cue-Kay starts with drums reminiscent of Tea Party's Temptation. The riff sounds a bit like L7's "Pretend That We're Dead" also. It's more in the vein of what the band represents. It has the same grunge sound as Flyers, but more in an Incesticide kind of fashion. It's nice to listen to, but it doesn't stick out. The way the drum mics are hooked up, it's quite powerful. You can almost feel the bass drum pump into your skull. You definitely understand its place on the disc and its purpose. Everything must have a purpose, afterall.

Her Story would be the ballad? Gone is the snarl. Sunstrum's voice sounds great on record. Better than it did live when I saw the band open for Weak Patrol. The song has that Green Day American Idiot vibe. The chorus is hooky. Could do well as a follow up single to Flyers. The back up vocals really do well to highlight the melody. Also, the best solo on the EP. It will definitely come as a shocker to the listener. Much like A La Ska, it's an awkward cut. You find yourself questioning if it is the same band or not. Unlike A La Ska, though, this is the difference between an alright one and something I would describe as ear candy. I just wish there was more bridging the gap. The EP comes across as a kid with ADHD that needs his Ritalin. On the upside, the band has shown what they are capable of. I can't help but feel they are trying too much at once. Trying to re-invent the wheel. This song has no grunge. No punk. No ska. It's pop rock. So, what exactly is Sea-Sekshun? A walking talking mixtape? This would make a better demo, than an EP. To show to labels what they can do.

I also felt like I wanted to hear more of the bass. I found the album to be fairly mid-level. Fairly equal. Nothing seemed to pop out. It sounded great, that's for sure. The vocals soared. All in all, I'd say it was a good listen. They've done something they should be proud of. The jigsaw isn't into place quite yet, and I hope they find the road they want to travel with it. Again, who are Sea-Sekshun? Because I've just listened to three versions of the same band clashing with eachother.

3/5

6 comments:

  1. Hey Dylan: Jake does all the lead vocals on every track and being a proud dad this is the first review I am going to have to disagree with because I think the bass lines and the drums keep all four songs together...Tom's consistent rolls, especially with his snare, and Tyler's runs on his bass lines keep all the songs on track and give them enough cohesion to know it is the same band. In every song you hear the gritty punk/ska snare super fast roll even in Her Story to keep all the songs hitting on the Sea-Sekshun sound but then again that is why everyone has a different ear and has a different opinion which is okay...Also I know they wanted 4 somewhat different songs to their debut EP to show the fans where their musical roots lie and where they hope to be going in the future...

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I don't sing on this EP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much respect Dylan. I really understand the comments about the genres being separated to the point of being a different-sounding band.

    I should clarify that Jake sings lead, while I sing backups on this EP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback and the clarifications. When I did catch you guys at the V-Lounge, Tyler did sing A La Ska, so I am sorry for getting it wrong. I totally understand where you are coming from, and yeah, it's just my opinion. 3/5 is still good. I did like it. I don't want it to seem like I'm full on hating or disrespecting the group. Production wise, I think the vocals were spotless. It just all comes down to taste. Catch you guys later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not at all bro...I like someone who is not afraid to give his honest REAL opinion...I count on you for that for my shows that way I can take it all in and improve my shows...just like bands might see something they are missing or might want to take a look at (or not)...it is a growth process for all these bands that you are reviewing since they are all local and just trying to get their name out there...much appreciated dude!! I just got to say of course I am partial to this one cause I am dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listened to the EP and had similar feelings and thoughts as Dylan did.

    The style/genre jumps in EP format are always more jarring as you dont have the opportunity for 'bridge' tracks that can warm the listener up to whats to come. 'Her Story' stood out to me as the most commercially accesible track. Solid performances all around. Regarding the bass, i guess when referencing the grunge/punk/ska you'd expect a bit more of that low end to come through. Almost sounded more like a metal/hardcore record with grungier/punkier tunes.

    3/5 seems fair.. tons of potential for sure and it makes me want to see them live. Congratulations Sea-Sekshun

    ReplyDelete