Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Shadow of the Gods - Shadow of the Gods

To explain what this CD starts off like can be only described as something being unearthed from the ground. There is no escape from saying this a dark flavoured disc and first track No Honour (Among Thieves) is very promising. It's got such a groove to it, and Ian Sanderson's bass is a definite highlight. You can often find yourself losing yourself in the rhythm. It may not be full of anthems or sing-a-longs, but it's worth it for just the music alone. Chris Buchan's guitar is quite technical but still not over the top. It can, at times, bring on a combination between Tool and Dream Theatre. Shayne Judkins has a Danzing prowl to his voice when he yelps during the choruses. When he goes soft, it's quite pleasing, though, it doesn't come across live [yet]. Sacrifice begins with Judkin's soft deliver, but the song doesn't have the same kick as No Honour and could pass as something from Creed's debut disc. It's a listenable track. I'd also like to mention Geoff Crober's drumming is spot on. Things pick up again with Desolation, the first slow tune, but the guitar is something that'll stick around in your head. I find the band really shines with this one. One of Crober's finest for drums, right here. Half way through the song, they kick it into overdrive only to drop back to the original tempo. It's a great shift. I find that Judkins goes "Uh!" a bit too much. It's not exactly a Rage Against the Machine record. Seduction almost reminds me of Primus. The guitar is a bit too fuzzy and combats Judkins vocals, but the song is another keeper. It's also got a System of a Down vibe to it. Almost like Judkins is doing his best Tankian. There are plenty of solos to be found and they don't feel unnecessary. The Path Not Taken is my least favourite on the CD and is a bit aimless in its essence. It's a pop song, but I find this band does its best work in being dark and brooding. There is also too much going on in this one. I feel Buchan could simplify or cut out completely during the verse so that the song would be less cluttered. It's actually interesting that Buchan seems to always be playing. I'd like to see a lot more dynamics in the future. The best part of The Path Not Taken is the random screams during the chorus, and I find myself wondering who is doing them. Where are they coming from? Honest I Do kicks off like a long lost brother to Metallica's One. It features Cassandra Van Mierlo as the female counterpart. It's a love song. Great track, but seems like a natural closer for the CD instead of being where it is in the order. I do love the exchange between Judkins and Van Mierlo. Very suiting. Little Girl is when Shadow of the Gods goes punk. It's quite catchy and the shortest song on the disc. The perfect length for something like this. Buchan's back up vocals are superb. It's definitely a punk solo in this one. That "no care" attitude. If I could pick a single from this album, Little Girl would be it. Tick is...strange. I find Buchan's singing in the chorus doesn't fit, and that this track would benefit from pure instrumental breaks. The guitar line during the chorus would have done just fine. That's my only problem with this song. So, out of the whole album, I think there are 6 solid songs here with two tolerable ones [The Path Not Taken and Tick]. I'm quite interested in hearing the next disc and how they evolve on stage. I would recommend this CD to fans of alt-metal who are looking for something a little adventurous.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment